Software Engineer (October 2011 - Present)
Lead Developer (May 2011 - September 2011)
In partnership with IT consultancy firm Maithú and Irish charity Callamedic, I put together a team to develop a fully functioning prototype of a smart phone application and system back end that aims to co-ordinate potentially available cardiac first responders. The application enables first responders to work with the emergency services to quickly provide essential treatment for those suffering suspected cardiac arrest. The project was undertaken by the team as part of a pioneering research course in innovation in software delivered by consultants, Innovation Delivery. My principal role was to lead the development of the django backend that manages and coordinates responders using Android phones.
Trainee web designer (January 2009 - December 2009)
Under the instruction of accomplished Graphic Designer Cillian O'Mongain, I took on several web design projects. Activities included:
• Designed and produced websites
• Developed proficiency in web design tools and technologies
• Liaised with clients on projects from initial idea through to launch
Cork City Partnership
Researcher on Cork City Integration Strategy 2008 - 2011 (October 2007 - April 2008)
English Language Teacher
Various (July 2002 - June 2011)
Teacher of English as Foreign Language (July 2002 - Present)
Included below are selection of some of the roles I have undertaken in my time as an English teacher:
Freelance one-to-one and small group teaching.
• Advertise and network to build up loyal client bases
• Manage and deliver my own courses to people of diverse ages, nationalities and professions
The Language Centre, National University of Ireland, Maynooth
• Delivered intensive English language courses to students preparing for entry to University programs, at levels from undergraduate up to PhD, in a variety of disciplines
• Prepared students for the internationally recognised IELTS examination
FÁS Skills for Work programme.
• Liaised with line managers and HR staff in client organisations with the purpose of identifying employee/employer needs in relation to English language and health and safety.
• Devised and delivered courses tailored to the needs of diverse groups
• Monitored and produced follow-up reports on each student for client organisations
Abbey College, Dame Street, Dublin 2.
• Organised and delivered courses in English for general, exam and business purposes
• Created and delivered a course in basic information technology incorporating the ECDL qualification, web design and basic programming skills for ESOL students
IKEA, Parque Principado, Asturias, Spain.
• Identified language learning requirements of management level staff
• Devised and delivered innovative English language programs to meet the local needs of this large multinational company
Wall Street Institute, Firenze, Italy.
• Delivered core, complementary and business English language courses
• Organised and hosted social events and outings